POSITION OVERVIEW: The Project Engineer is an interdisciplinary role that ensures that the customer’s needs are satisfied throughout a system’s entire life cycle. The Project Engineer is responsible for the overall product and system design and ensures delivery of a robust technical solution that is capable of meeting all aspects of the customer’s requirements. The individual must work cross-functionally with the Program Manager, Customer, Test, Manufacturing and Operations teams to develop product requirements, identify and mitigate technical risk, diagnose and solve problems, and prescribe tests to assess system performance and increase the manufacturability of the solution. The Project Engineer will guide the technical team in designing all aspects of the system and developing verification and validation tests to demonstrate system compliance to design specifications and customer requirements.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Project Engineer is responsible for all technical aspects of the system design.
- The Project Engineer leads the technical direction for Software, Mechanical and Test Engineers in activities which are focused on the Customer Requirements, Manufacturability, Reliability and Verification of the system.
- The Project Engineer is a technical extension of the Program Manager.
- The Project Engineer is responsible for developing the Requirements Specification (QF15), Design Specifications (QF17), DFMEA (QF74) and Verification and Validation Plan (QF18) for a project.
- Customer Requirements:
- The Project Engineer is required to communicate and interact effectively with the customer on all technical aspects of the project.
- The Project Engineer interprets customer requirements in order to deliver a design capable of meeting functional, performance and regulatory requirements.
- The Project Engineer works on site with the customer to support technical meetings, systems integration and trouble-shooting.
- The Project Engineer proactively conducts feasibility testing to ensure the technology is fundamentally capable of fulfilling long term life cycle requirements.
- System Design: (Note: This phase includes Architectural and Module Design)
- Works with other Engineers to design the system architecture and lower level design components in order to satisfy customer requirements.
- Initiates and conducts detailed system design reviews throughout the lifecycle of the project.
- Works closely with Machine Vision Engineers to ensure their requirements are identified and accounted for in the system design.
- Creates and maintains the Design Specification
- The Project Engineer takes a hands-on approach throughout the design and development process.
- The Project Engineer utilizes tools such as Design FMEA (QF74) to identify and assess program risks with the help of the cross-functional team, record and prioritize risks, and develop mitigation plans.
- Verification and Validation:
- Develops a Verification Plan to determine design limits and detect software bugs to ensure the entire system is capable of meeting the customer requirements.
- Designs and facilitates the execution of a Verification and Validation Plans to ensure the final design meets customer functional, performance and regulatory requirements.
- Develop the Production Use-Case Test Requirements and Validation Plan to ensure long term conformance of the product during production.
- QF15 – Requirements Specification
- QF74 – DFMEA
- QF17 – Design Specification
- QF18 – Verification and Validation Test Plan
- QF70 – Design Review
- QF64 – Production Test Plan
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge: Project or systems design and development experience a plus.
Skills: Strong Technical Diagnostic and Communication Skills
Optical, Test, Software or Machine Vision Experience a Plus
Education: BS in Electrical
Experience: 8 to10 Years Product Design and Development
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: The Project Engineer reports to the Engineering Manager with no direct reports.
AUTHORITIES/DECISIONS MADE AS PART OF REGULAR DUTIES: The Project Engineer will be responsible for providing direction to team members and feedback to the customer. In addition the Project Engineer will play a key role if the strategy and project life-cycle.
WORKING CONDITIONS / EQUIPMENT: Working conditions will be in an office setting with 20% travel to customer locations.